Microsoft: Give Xbox One users IPv6 connectivity

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Oct 10 18:01:50 CEST 2013

On Oct 10, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Geoff Huston <gih at apnic.net> wrote:

> My concern about Teredo's robustness however still remains.
>
> We've been polling users with IPv6 tests embedded in a Google Ad campaign for some years now. We were interested in teredo, so we thought that if one of the presented URLs as part of the test was http://[<ipv6 address>] then we'd bypass the DNS and activate teredo on all those windows platforms out there. Which is effectively what happened.

Yes, i'm aware of your measurements and results, including the ones mentioned at the mic.  (btw, thanks for doing these!)

Lots of folks do weird crap.  I was at a friends house earlier this week and used his internet access and he has all sorts of stuff blocked outbound, including IMAP/SSL, SMTP-Submission, and I had to open up about 4 new ports just to get my outbound VPN working.

He would be someone where it might try to activate but then fail in some spectacular fashion.  I've never seen a consumer device with such restrictions in place.  At least it didn't try to proxy my DNS queries then fail with anything requiring EDNS0.  I found lots of passive results from weekly DNS scans that turned up *very* interesting data about device and resolver behavior.  I've not fully scripted the sifting, nor tried repeating with EDNS0 enabled scans, but interesting nonetheless.

I for one welcome the xbox revolution to push the killer-app success of IPv6 out to the consumer networks further.  I predict we will be around 13-15% in 12 months as a result. (via the google measurement)

- Jared