[ipv6-ops] RFC 5952 converter tool

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed Nov 27 22:11:57 CET 2013

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Hughes wrote:

> Depends on what you mean by non-RFC 5952. There are tons of functions
> out
> there like pear Net_IPv6::uncompress() Net_IPv6::compress() that work
> well,
> however, junk is junk so it's hard to get into proper format. Can you
> provide an
> example of the source data you are referring to?

I am looking for something that could be recommended to domain registrars
and resellers collecting IPv6 glue from registrants. gTLD registrars are
contractually required to provide IPv6 addresses in RFC 5952 format (under
the new RAA) and I'd like to recommend a reliable tool for converting from
(at least) full uncompressed format.

I suppose registrars are likely to see registrants entering IPv6 addresses
in all sorts of formats and was hoping there might be something fairly
intelligent out there that can reliably convert from anything valid and
unambiguous into the required format.

Thanks,

Leo