'Upgrading' NAT64 to 464XLAT?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Nov 26 09:31:24 CET 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 05:22:15PM +0900, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> Are you suggesting that we should have designed 464xlat on day one instead
> of DNS64? That's a bit like saying that we should have designed fiber
> optics without having copper. If DNS64 had not been designed and
> implemented we wouldn't have 464xlat today.

I think he's saying that everyone should be using dual-stack, because
that's so much easier to roll out and maintain, and there's still plenty
of IPv4 left in the US region.

(Let me say that if *I* had a mobile network where I pretty much know
what sort of devices and stacks are being used, I'd go for IPv6-only PDP
plus 464xlat as well.  On "DSL style" end user connections, with a
gazillion of unknown devices and applications, I'd more likely go for
IPv6+DS-Lite or IPv6+MAP - or full dual-stack *if* I had the addresses,
which is one of the small obstacles Doug seems to conveniently overlook...)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279