'Upgrading' NAT64 to 464XLAT?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Nov 26 09:19:22 CET 2013

On 11/25/2013 10:48 PM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us
> <mailto:dougb at dougbarton.us>> wrote:
>
>     DNS64 was a non-starter because there are always going to be IPv4
>     sites that hard-code IP addresses, and a non-trivial number of them
>     are going to be critical sites for any given set of users. The
>     authors chose to plunge ahead anyway, leaving us with yet another
>     transition technology "cure" that is worse than the disease.
>

> Wait, what? The problem you describe is the one that 464xlat solves.

Didn't you just make my case? DNS64 didn't solve the problem, at best
you can say it laid the groundwork for the (arguably) more thorough and
(unarguably) dramatically more complex solution of 464xlat. And what was
the delay between them?

I realize we're never going to come up with a canonical answer for the
relative value of transition tech helping the transition vs. delaying
it. And I can even see merit in what 464xlat provides. But IPv6 has
always been particularly pathological about "let's shun the easy
solutions in favor of creating increasingly complex ivory palaces," and
that bothers me. Particularly when innocent folks like the OP put effort
into deploying things like DNS64 because they bought the IETF snake oil
that it will actually solve something for them.

Doug