'Upgrading' NAT64 to 464XLAT?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Nov 25 19:36:00 CET 2013

On 11/25/2013 05:20 AM, Dick Visser wrote:
> We've been running a NAT64/DNS64 set-up for a while now on some parts
> of our office network. This seems to work well, but it doens't work
> for everything (e.g. Skype etc).

When it was first being considered there was a non-zero number of us who
made an initial effort to explain to the authors that DNS64 was a
non-starter because there are always going to be IPv4 sites that
hard-code IP addresses, and a non-trivial number of them are going to be
critical sites for any given set of users. The authors chose to plunge
ahead anyway, leaving us with yet another transition technology "cure"
that is worse than the disease.

Dual stack on the inside network is the only (effective) way to address
this issue, even if it requires IPv4 NAT at the border.

Doug