is gmail strongly penalizing IPv6 senders?

Marco d'Itri md at linux.it
Fri May 31 16:01:33 CEST 2013

On May 30, Marco d'Itri <md at linux.it> wrote:

> I have noticed in the last few days that mail sent to gmail from a
> significant number of our servers (both shared hosting / mail relays and
> dedicated servers of our customers) with IPv6 connectivity is delivered
> to the spam folder.
Anecdotical data that I gathered suggests that:
- I am not alone
- IPv6 senders are not penalized by default but they can easily be, much
  more easily than IPv4 senders
- as usual, there is no way to request a reputation revision[1]
- as usual, IP reputations problems can be worked around by implementing
  SPF (?) or DKIM

While I sympathize with the movement that wishes to move reputation from
IPs to domains, I expect that the result of this policy will almost
always be that IPv6-enabled customers will request to disable IPv6 for
mail.

[1] something that even Yahoo manages to do, but that I suspect that
Google is unwilling to do since it cannot be performed automatically
with a MapReduce...

--
ciao,
Marco