DHCPv6 accounting

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Wed May 22 08:35:43 CEST 2013

Indeed, the NDP cache is mostly the only way to get the MAC/IPv6 mapping... because even if DHCP is mandated and SLAAC disabled, nothing prevent a bad guy to use static configuration of his/her IPv6 address (actually you could use SAVI switch to enforce DHCP addresses for global addresses but not for link-local).

...with some further comments, some SAVI switches can also log (in our case over syslog) all newly discovered mappings, the NDP cache can be browsed by SNMP requests, and I still wonder about those IETF drafts where DHCP is used to signal a change in the NDP cache (which does not seem related to the meaning and purpose of DHCP).

-éric