Lebanon & IPv6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Mon May 13 16:53:26 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-13 14:19 , ISOC Lebanon wrote:
> Hi Sander an d all,
>
> As mentioned by Sander all international connections must go through the
> incumbent telco in Lebanon

That is a political problem that needs to be resolved in your country.

Unfortunately there is little that can be done technically towards this.
(the technical solutions exist, you are just not allowed to use them
apparently, which is sad)

> and they don't do IPv6 yet and don't seem to be concerned by that.

Then make them concerned with business cases, and in the interest of
coming tax money for the next century...

> So all the ISPs that do IPv6 have to do it in a
> restricted manner with tunnels to HE, OCCAID, etc.

As I mentioned in a different part of this overlong thread, if you are
using tunneling you are most likely bypassing your local policies
(laws?). You might want to check that up before somebody disappears...

> I believe that transparency helps. i.e. publishing facts is the least one
> can do to recognize those who worked hard and facilitated the IPv6
> deployment in their environment and expose those who are still hindering
> and/or blocking such deployment.

Yes, it is indeed really good to know that Lebanon has such a restricted
view onto the Internet. This at least explains why Lebanon can not do
native. Tunnels are still not the solution though and these kind of
restrictions are definitely not the problem for the majority of
locations where ISPs claim to not be able to get native IPv6.

Obviously somebody needs to convince your government that they way the
Internet is connected now is not how the Internet is intended to work.
It seems you might want to do a new Spring revolution as you are still
not free[1].

I can only suggest that you speak to the people from the Tor Project,
they have good experience with policies and legalities in countries and
might be able to convince your government that what they are doing now
does not stop anything from happening that they think they might be
restricting, as people who want to break the law, will break the law.

That, and that it is in their best interest to have proper Internet
connectivity for their populace and maybe more importantly to them as a
government for their businesses so that these businesses can stay up to
date and in time, akin to their peers in other countries that are able
to use this new era of the Internet.

Unfortunately as this is a political matter the only thing I can do is
wish you a lot of good luck...

Greets,
 Jeroen

[1] = for various versions of "free".... at least now you know that you
are likely being monitored, in other cases you just do not...