http://www.6assist.net/ - call for test

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri May 10 22:30:43 CEST 2013

On 11/05/2013 07:58, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 07:28:25PM +0200, Marcin Gondek wrote:
>> As far it's dedicated for IPv6 PI holder (not always it is a ISP - like me)
>> which are not a transit providers for other than it's own users or usage,
>> the idea from NetAssist is OK.
>>
>> I'm really happy that more IPv6 initatives are comming. Today mostly HE
>> taking all tunneled bgp session, it's good to have some alternative and
>> redundancy for IPv6 traffic. Maybe HE will loose monopoly of this.
>
> HE has a monopoly because people are accepting upstreams that have no IPv6.
>
> Vouch with your money.  We have done this 10+ years ago: "hey, salesman,
> if you want our business, you have to have IPv6.  Do not bother calling
> again if you are not offering IPv6".
>
> 10+ years later, even Level(3) and Cogent are offering IPv6 - and I can
> well remember those salespeople that told me "IPv6 is no good, one day
> you'll be our customer even without IPv6".  Seems they learned in the end.

I have to say, I think this is the right philosophy. Having helped to
propose a couple of approaches to peer IPv6-over-IPv4 (RFC2529 + RFC3056)
when we needed subversive deployment techniques, I think the time has come
to forget this approach and simply insist on native support.

I fully realise that some ISPs have still not got the message.

    Brian