SSM on Windows

Steinar H. Gunderson sesse at google.com
Thu Mar 28 01:54:35 CET 2013

[Not Google-related despite my email address]

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced problems with joining IPv6 SSM (ie.,
multicast) groups on Windows 7/8? It seems that if we try to do so
with VLC, the MLD join is somehow blocked by the built-in firewall.
Turning off the firewall makes it work fine, and if someone else on
the same switch (it doesn't have MLD snooping on) joins the group, the
packets flow just fine.

Any ideas? IPv4 and IPv6 ASM work just fine (well, after we rebooted a
6500 that was getting very depressed). I haven't tried IPv4 SSM.

/* Steinar */
--
Software Engineer, Google Switzerland