security.ubuntu.com not accessible in IPv6 (AAAA record missing in the DNS)

Dick Visser visser at terena.org
Fri Mar 22 11:27:34 CET 2013

On 22 March 2013 09:43, Philipp Kern <phil at philkern.de> wrote:

> what's the reason not to use the NTP pool?
>
> keyserver.ubuntu.com is SKS-synced with other keyservers. So while authoriative
> for Launchpad, it's still not critical as a keyserver.

I understand they're both not critical, but they are used as defaults in Ubuntu.
The definition of defaults it that ideally they should work for all
users, but this isn't the case now.
If the ntp and keyserver would have A + AAAA, then they would work for everyone.

The ultimate goal is that it should be possible to install and run the
OS in a pure IPv6 environment, without any translation mechanisms.

Of course every deployment has its own specific needs.
I have been very enthusiastic lately about our dual stack proxy server.
It provides IPv6<->IPv4 translation and additional security at the same time.

--
Dick Visser
System & Networking Engineer