end user assignment best practice

Pim van Pelt pim at ipng.nl
Tue Mar 19 00:05:49 CET 2013

2013/3/19 Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl>:
> I agree that it is acceptable, the problem is often which /64 to use.  I have seen a situation where the customer made a nice addressing plan, and then the ISP took a /64 for the interconnect which didn't fit in the addressing plan at all. The customer decided to use xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:0000:/64 for the loopback interfaces of their routers, and the ISP took exactly that /64 for the interconnect. Not a disaster, but annoying for the customer. So I usually choose to use a separate /64 for the interconnect and let the customer take full management of the /48.
Yes. Although mechanically, if the customer provides the transit
network, then they provide the prefix (one that fits in their plan),
not the ISP (it's no longer theirs to decide).
I see how this false sense of entitlement by the ISP may pose an
operational problem.  :)

--
Pim van Pelt <pim at ipng.nl>
PBVP1-RIPE - http://www.ipng.nl/