ipv6 network fail (newbie alert)

Steinar H. Gunderson sesse at google.com
Mon Mar 11 01:48:18 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 12:24:37PM +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
> No idea, why, but this seems to have fixed it, thanks Gert!
> all these years of ipv4, now with ipv6 I feel like i should be like a
> little kid and re-start kindergarten again :)

In general, you don't want to be firewalling off stuff unless you know
exactly what you're doing -- it's so easy to break things.

Unfortunately we're pretty much borked when it comes to IPv4 there; e.g.
path MTU discovery does not really work anymore (try an MTU 1492 tunnel
without MSS rewriting once, and observe large parts of the Internet break).
I don't have too high hopes for IPv6 :-/

/* Steinar */
--
Software Engineer, Google Switzerland