ipv6 network fail (newbie alert)

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 02:29:27 CET 2013

Hi all (again)

Hrmm, possible this is related to my earlier iptables issues.

accept rules are being ignored.

offshooting my mail to another inside box, works fine with policy
default accept, but I'm not liking that, so try to secure it, ipv4
works as it has for years, but ipv6 sheesh

 ip6tables -L -n

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all      ::/0              ::/0
    <--- loopback
ACCEPT     all      2001:470:xxx2:524::/64  ::/0              <-- my routed lan
ACCEPT     all      2a00:1c18:401:c01::538:0/112  ::/0   <--  offsite
native ipv6 range

this above native range is being ignored, as are the port rules below
it, and this I really cant understand since it has been told to accept
it, as with my earlier forwarding problems gave me

Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

ACCEPT     all      ::/0                 ::/0                 ctstate
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
REJECT     tcp      ::/0                 ::/0                 tcp
dpt:113 reject-with icmp6-port-unreachable
ACCEPT     udp      ::/0                 ::/0                 udp dpt:25
ACCEPT     tcp      ::/0                 ::/0                 tcp dpt:25
DROP       icmpv6    ::/0                 ::/0                 ipv6-icmptype 128

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

This is a fully bare bones iptables config, and the only way is to set
input policy to accept which i should not have to do, unless ip6tables
 is re wrote and is nothing like iptables commands which do work.

Anyone seen this crazyness?
( ip6tables v1.4.17 )