6to4 status (again)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 10:59:50 CET 2013

On 01/03/2013 09:05, Ole Troan wrote:
> Brian,
>
>> Switching correctly configured relays off clearly hurts users.
>
> that's an assumption.

No it isn't.

Switching off incorrectly configured relays probably helps users
(at the best, their traffic goes to a working relay instead;
at the worst, their traffic is still blackholed).

Switching off a correctly configured relay might cause their
traffic to go to another working relay (i.e. no chnage for
the user) but it might also cause their traffic to be blackholed.
So there's no upside for users.

> it isn't clear to me that really bad service is worse than no service.

Indeed, but what's that got to do with correctly configured relays?
6to4 user experience ranges from good to awful.

> perhaps the latter would make the end-user fix their end?

I wish, but unsuspecting 6to4 users will be better served by
happy-eyeballs. Unfortunately, that doesn't help legacy users.

    Brian