DAD - on or off

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Jun 26 13:50:52 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 09:38:45PM -0700, Merike Kaeo wrote:
> Scenario:
> a. router has an IPv6 address
> b. someone creates a node with same IPv6 address
> c. router reboots

If one of our customers want to kill their IPv6 connectivity, they certainly
can do so...  as we're not sharing /64 between different customers (that
have the necessary permissions to change their IPv6 address) all they can
do is harm themselves.

So for *us*, this is a not overly serious problem and we haven't yet done
anything about it.

It could be a problem at exchange points if one of the colleagues fat-fingers
their address, but then, if they do it for IPv4, breakage will ensure just
as well - and so far we've not seen to many incidents of that...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279