Windows 2008R2 MTU reverts to default

Dick Visser visser at terena.org
Mon Jun 10 14:57:26 CEST 2013

Hi

I'm trying to debug a connectivity issue on a Windows 2008R2 system,
and I'd like to carry out some tests with different MTUs.
According to the docs at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753156(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_setinterface
I issue this command:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv6 set interface "Local Area
Connection" mtu=1400
Ok.

I then see:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv6 show interfaces

Idx     Met         MTU          State                Name
---  ----------  ----------  ------------  ---------------------------
  1          50  4294967295  connected     Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
 10          10        1400  connected     Local Area Connection

This works for a while, but after a minute or so it changes back to the default:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv6 show interfaces

Idx     Met         MTU          State                Name
---  ----------  ----------  ------------  ---------------------------
  1          50  4294967295  connected     Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
 10          10        1500  connected     Local Area Connection

The default netsh behavior should be to save it persistently, but upon
reboot the MTU is always 1500.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

I just tried out a Windows 7 machine and that seem to remember what
it's being told with netsh.

Thanks!!

--
Dick Visser