Point-to-point /64

Ivan Pepelnjak ipepelnjak at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 17:49:05 CEST 2013

I thought it was urban lore until I started digging into data sheets for various DC switches covered in my DC Fabrics webinar (yeah, couldn't resist ;)

All high-speed DC switches use some variant of TCAM-based forwarding. Most of them have shared TCAM for IPv4 and IPv6 with IPv6 table size being 1/2 IPv4 table size. Draw your own conclusions.

Juniper EX series is the only exception (AFAIR) with IPv6 table size being 1/4 of the IPv4 table size.

Cisco seems to be one of the few vendors with well-documented limitations: Nexus 5500 has 16K shared IPv4+IPv6(probably /64) routes and 128 LPM IPv6 routes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration_limits/limits_521/nexus_5000_config_limits_521.html#wp328407

Do I have to go into what happens when a switch runs out of TCAM?

Ivan