Point-to-point /64

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sun Jun 2 17:05:20 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 06:18:33AM +0000, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> I am sure that you know:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsec-lla-only-03 which is
> one way of fixing the 'scanning' problem. OTOH, AFAIK most routers
> not only allow for a /127 on a PtP (or even Ethernet) interface :-)
> but also implement RFC 4443 correctly, i.e., even if you configure
> a /64 on a PtP then will not 'loop' the packet back to the interface
> => no amplification possible.

This is actually quite a good bit of information (and thanks for digging
up RFC 4443 so I didn't have to go search).

OTOH, most "p2p" links these days are no longer "true p2p with no ND layer
below" (where ping-pong would be a problem) but "ethernet used as a p2p
link", which will do ND, and then ND exhaustion attacks enter the
picture.

(Is there an implementation that can use an ethernet link as a true p2p
medium without ND?  Could be made work by putting the receiving PHY into
promiscuous mode to receive "anything that comes in" and sending with a
fixed arbitrary MAC header...  OTOH it likely breaks a zillion specs...)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279