Google's "unusual traffic" notification

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Jul 24 15:06:52 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:05:16AM +0200, gall at switch.ch wrote:
> A customer reported to us that many of his users have been getting the
> "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network"
> message from Google since last week.  Apparently, this is only
> happening for IPv6, which makes me suspect that there is some kind of
> glitch with Google's technique for detecting what they believe is
> automated traffic.

ACK!  I've had this happen twice to our office network now, only on IPv6,
and nothing in my logs or netflow data backs this...

> I filled in their form at
> <https://support.google.com/websearch/contact/ban>, but I'm not
> particualry optimistic that this will help.

... it helped (as in "the message is gone"), but we never heard anything
back why it happened.  Which is a bit frustrating.  "You are evil but we're
not willing to tell you what it is so you can't fix it".

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279