[pfSense] IPv6 Routing in pfSense

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnetgroup.gr
Sat Jul 13 20:14:02 CEST 2013

Sorry for the delayed answer.

Some examples are the following:

Under WAN interface, if i choose SLAAC, then i cannot get DHCPv6-PD work at all.
If i choose DHCP6, then i get an extra option "DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation size" which imho is not needed.
The same happens on the LAN interface too.

Under "Services: DHCPv6 Server", i get the following message which is confusing atleast.
"The DHCPv6 Server can only be enabled on interfaces configured with static IP addresses.
Only interfaces configured with a static IP will be shown."

Generally, i tried to mimic the config we use on our CPEs (since pfsense if being used by quite a few of our customers as a wan router with a adsl modem in bridge mode), but i couldn't do it.

A sample IPv6 gui template we provide to our CPE vendors (which can be used to grab some ideas) is the following:

*Interface* 	*Title*
	*Choices*
	*Type*
	*Default*
*WAN*

	*IPv4/IPv6*
	IPv4
IPv4 & IPv6
IPv6
	Single choice
	IPv4 & IPv6
  	*IPv6 Address Assignment* 	SLAAC
DHCPv6
Static 	Multiple choices 	SLAAC
  	*DHCPv6-PD* 	Enable
Disable 	Single choice 	Enable
  	*Tunnel* 	None
DS-Lite
MAP
	Single choice 	None
  	*     DS-Lite AFTR* 	Manual (+IP)
Auto (from DHCPv6) 	Single choice 	Manual
  	*PCP*
	Enable
Disable 	Single choice 	Disable
  	   *PCP Server*
	Manual (+IP)
DS-Lite AFTR
Auto (from DHCPv6) 	Single choice 	DS-Lite AFTR
*LAN*
  	*IPv6* 	Enable
Disable
	Single choice 	Enable
  	*SLAAC* 	Enable
Disable 	Single choice 	Enable
  	*     SLAAC Prefix* 	Manual
Auto (from DHCPv6-PD) 	Single choice 	Auto (from DHCPv6-PD)
  	*     SLAAC Options* 	MTU
DNS 	Multiple choices 	MTU (from WAN MTU or 1492)
  	*DHCPv6 Server* 	Enable
Disable 	Single choice 	Enable
  	*     DHCPv6 Prefix* 	None
Manual
Auto (from DHCPv6-PD) 	Single choice 	None
  	*     DHCPv6 Options* 	Prefix
DNS (manual)
DNS (from DHCPv6-PD) 	Multiple choices 	DNS (from DHCPv6-PD)

--
Tassos