Dual stack statistics?

Martin Millnert martin at millnert.se
Tue Jan 29 12:08:39 CET 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 06:04 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where they get this data from? Figuring out which
> > websites are dual-stack is easy (just ask the DNS), but how do they know
> > which websites users visit?
>
> I believe they just look how much traffic of each type (IPv4|IPv6) passes
> for a certain set of users. For instance with a DS transparent proxy, this
> is a quite easy way of measuring it.

Albeit not per-user, this is $JOB[-2] aggregates, showing native IPv6:
 * http://stats.csbnet.se/public/ipv6-7d.png
 * http://stats.csbnet.se/public/ipv6-2y.png

Network summarized:
 * 2000 students
 * SLAAC on routed ethernet ports in EX'es.
   * No DHCPv6-support in JunOS EX, thus no DHCPv6-support towards
customers.
   * Few routed home gateways can do anything useful with SLAAC, even if
they are IPv6-ready. Thus traffic shown belongs to students without
routed home gateways.

I've asked for a bit more granular presentation of data; e.g. a graph of
traffic ratio showing only DS:ed end-user ports.