option 212 for 6RD

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 18 13:16:52 CET 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> How so? MTU is a property of a L2 domain, a "link". There is no such
> thing as a "default route MTU" or a "prefix MTU" in RAs.

I disagree, at least when used with IPv6. My understanding is that if
there are two routers on the link, each advertising its own /64 using RA,
clients making GUA using SLAAC, I expect each of these /64 (and derived
default route) to have different MTU even though they are in the same L2
domain.

Do you disagree?

Would probably make a nice test case for implementers to use though. But
it works currently, my ipv6 speakers at home use different ipv6 mtu and
ipv4 mtu just based on the RAs.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se