option 212 for 6RD

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Thu Jan 17 12:46:56 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Sam Wilson <Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> No, there's another way to get around it: lower the LAN MTU so the host
> lowers the MSS itself.
>
>> [snip...]
>>

> The solution is to mandate the same MTU on every link.  I'm not serious
> about that but it looks like the obvious direction that one side of this
> argument is going.

Not saying this is a good outcome, bear in mind that's effectively what we
do in IPv4. In IPv4, PMTUD is basically useless and the only tools we have
are MSS rewriting and "sending smaller packets". Pick some well-known
content providers and you might see they don't send you 1500-byte packets
in IPv4 either.

Hopefully we can do better than that in IPv6. Who knows.