6to4 status (again)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Feb 28 16:39:17 CET 2013

On 2/28/13 07:18 , Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> When this happened it took a little while before I realised what was
> going on and why things were so broken. 6to4 needs to die die die.

Yes, 6to4 needs to DIE! DIE! DIE!  But, from the outside-in or the
edge-in not from the inside-out or the relays-out.  Just turning off
relays will not cause 6to4 to die, it will just break things.  Just
turning off relays will cause the bad user experience we are trying to
correct, not create the improved user experience we want from killing
off 6to4.

So PLEASE just don't go turning off 6to4 relays willy-nilly, turning
them off when there is no more traffic is fine.  But, just turning them
off when there is traffic adds to bad user experience we are trying to
correct.

If you need to manage the traffic to your relay then change your BGP
advertizements to make it look less attractive, or change the scope of
your advertizements to cover only your direct customers, but don't just
turn it off.  Some investigation into the kinds of traffic might make
some sense.  Maybe traffic shaping some kinds of traffic could work,
maybe obviously malicious traffic, but this needs to be done carefully.
  Again remember, the goal of killing off 6to4 is to improve the user
experience, we need to be careful not to create a worse user experience
while doing it.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952