6to4 status (again)

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Thu Feb 28 04:45:44 CET 2013

On 28 February 2013 02:27, Keith Moore <moore at network-heretics.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 27, 2013, at 7:30 PM, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo at google.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Christopher Palmer
> <Christopher.Palmer at microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2.       The majority of home users don’t have routers that support UPnP
>> management of NAT/FW openings, at least from our telemetry.
>

> Amen.
>

> In the routers I've seen, it is off by default.  But I'm not sure what this
> has to do with 6to4, since last I knew UPnP didn't support opening arbitrary
> IP protocol types.  Or did it get extended?

I believe the subject drifted on to teredo.

However uPnP isn't needed for teredo either if I understand it
correctly? The specs say something about NAT traversal, and the way it
uses UDP should pass unaltered through many of the normal residential
NAT rules* i'm familiar with. I don't have any experience to confirm
this though.

- Mike

*UDP maps the whole port, and tries to keep the port the same when possible.