6to4 status (again)

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 01:02:58 CET 2013

Sent from ipv6-only Android
On Feb 28, 2013 4:30 AM, "Christopher Palmer" <
Christopher.Palmer at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Catching up to the thread... sorry if this is randomizing
>

> Dropping some info.
>

> 1.       Window’s prefix policy, in Win8 and Win7, means that IPv4->IPv4
is generally preferred over 6to4->NativeIPv6.

> 2.       The majority of home users don’t have routers that support UPnP
management of NAT/FW openings, at least from our telemetry.

> Separate from the IPv6 question, I’m not as enthusiastic on the ability
of an everyday user to get IPv6 access. ISPs are often regional monopolies,
and if your local market doesn’t have IPv6, you’re hosed. Tunnel brokers
notwithstanding.

> Not to oversimplify the issue too much – but I’d bet that the easiest and
most geographically available way to get IPv6 in the United States is to go
to Verizon and get a new LTE hotspot for your house. A frustrating reality…

Watch this space.

CB

ipv6-ops-bounces+christopher.palmer=microsoft.com at lists.cluenet.de] On
Behalf Of Keith Moore
> Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:05 AM
> To: Lorenzo Colitti
> Cc: IPv6 Ops list; Kevin Day; Jared Mauch
>
> Subject: Re: 6to4 status (again)
>

> On 02/26/2013 01:23 AM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Keith Moore <moore at network-heretics.com>
wrote:

>>> The problem is that the advice is based on a false premise.  Native
access is NOT yet widely available in many parts of the world.   If it
were, there wouldn't be much 6to4 traffic, and turning off 6to4 relays
wouldn't cause problems.

>>> So a recommendation to drop 6to4 relays would, at the present time, be
a very harmful recommendation.

>> Sure, but as far as I can see, the only alternatives are:
>>
>> Upgrade the box with 10G interfaces, incurring substantial cost.
>> Drop the packets, degrading service quality.
>>
>> Suppose operators take the position that they don't want to upgrade the
relays because most of the traffic on them comes from third party networks,
and thus #1 is infeasible. What then?

> What I find myself thinking is that if you're not willing to spend more
money on faster interfaces to the relays (which I see as a purely business
decision, similar to whether to procure faster links to a peer), then one
alternative to shutting down the relay entirely might be to advertise the
route to that relay less favorably, so that it doesn't look like a good
route to as many peers, thus reducing the load that way.

> Hopefully more access providers will take up the slack so as to provide
better 6to4 service for their customers, at least until those providers
provide native v6 access to their customers.   But I do see 6to4 relay as a
service that probably has to migrate closer to the edge over time until
there's no longer a need for it.

> Keith
>
> p.s. At my great distance, it does seem a bit odd for an operator to say,
in effect, "too many people are wanting to send traffic to this prefix,
therefore we need to shut down our link to it."     Is that the way
operators think about prefixes in general?   But I also realize that
there's nobody who speaks for 2002::/16 so there's no way to go to them and
say "you need to pay us for more bandwidth".   And I don't think that just
because an operator is willing to run a relay, that this implies that they
have to spend arbitrary amounts of money to keep it from dropping packets.