6to4 status (again)

Kevin Day kevin at your.org
Mon Feb 25 22:48:02 CET 2013

I know this was brought up in November, but I didn't see much of a consensus…

We run one of the public 6to4 relays. Lately traffic to it has been growing very rapidly and I'm really not sure why. Other people shutting their public relays down? More AAAA records are making more people fall back to 6to4? Idiots using it for DDoS?

For most of 2012 the usage averaged about 50-100mbps, but lately we're seeing sustained levels of 500mbps-900mbps. I'd rather not deploy 10GE on our 6to4 box just to handle the traffic growth.

Has anyone here looked at public 6to4 usage recently and seen similar trends?

Part of me is thinking we should just rate limit the box to something more reasonable. While it's still running, it'll be slow enough that hopefully people will move to a better transitional technology. My fear is that it will cause more "v6 sucks, it's so slow" and people shut it off without looking at why.