Virtualbox + IPv6

Marco Sommani marco.sommani at cnr.it
Sat Feb 16 10:14:21 CET 2013

On 15/feb/2013, at 21:34, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 09:34:30AM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> i'm curious if there's anyone here that has seen this ipv6 performance issue with hosts in a VM:
>>
>> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9380
>
> Nothing noticed in my vbox Linux guests yet when connected to wired
> network, but as those are all on laptops, connectivity is usually WiFi
> anyway, where Virtualbox unfortunately fails completely:
>
> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5503
>
> There seems to be no interest to fix that. I'm pretty sure that VMware
> _is_ able to do bridged IPv6 on WiFi, I remember testing that in the
> past. Perhaps my memory fails...

I confirm. I have just made a test using a Windows 7 Virtual Machine running on VMware Fusion 4.1.3 on a Mac with OsX 10.7.5. IPv6 over bridged wifi works. Outside of my real box all frames to and from my Virtual Machine have the real link-layer address of my wifi interface (00:26:bb:18:a0:27), which is different from the link-layer address used inside my Windows 7 (00-0C-29-A2-DD-DF). I presume that this means that the WMware Virtual Bridge correctly implements rfc4389 – “Neighbor Discovery Proxies”.

--
Marco Sommani
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
mailto:marco.sommani at cnr.it