multiple prefixes

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 09:59:37 CET 2013

On 13/02/2013 17:14, Bernd Walter wrote:
..
> My hope was that with IPv6 the return of static addresses will come back
> again the way I was used from the early days when I started using the
> internet.

Not a hope, the design point was exactly the opposite - that all prefixes
should aggregate as much as possible, which means prefix allocation
should be dynamic.

> With IPv6 there is an implication because it is not only the single
> public address which change - the whole internal network gets renumered
> on redial-in.

Yes, but what's new? When I reboot my domestic ADSL box, it renumbers
all hosts. They are always within 192.168.1.0/24 as it happens, but as
far as my laptop is concerned, it gets a new address each time.

As far as I can see, ULAs are an improvement on this.

   Brian