multiple prefixes

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Feb 12 19:27:29 CET 2013

On 02/12/2013 12:50 AM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us
> <mailto:dougb at dougbarton.us>> wrote:
>      > Higher cost and a higher
>      > barrier to entry for application developers as they each have to
>      > re-learn NAT traversal (and no, NAT traversal is *not* the same as
>      > traversing a stateful firewall - that's easier).
>
>     Please demonstrate how these costs pertain to NPT. To the
>     application there shouldn't be any difference between operating in
>     an NPT environment than operating on GUAs. (This response also
>     applies to your comment about skype.)
>

> An example I have direct experience of is the code that does connection
> establishment libjingle, used by Google video chat. Being able to rely
> on the fact that the IPv6 address assigned to your interface is, in
> fact, your IPv6 address greatly simplifies the code. By comparison,
> firewall traversal is trivial.

Fair enough, but I live in a world where that issue has already been
addressed, with multiple different solutions available. Would life be
easier if such solutions were not necessary? Sure! Are we ever again
going to live in a world where they are not? Nope. So given that
application writers _already_ have to deal with that issue, and _will
always have to deal with it from now on,_ it's not relevant to the
discussion at hand.

Doug