multiple prefixes

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Tue Feb 12 19:00:46 CET 2013

Tore,

Do you know of any knowledge base of mainstream commercial network equipment (routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, etc...)
that supports NPTv6? There seems to be very few equipment on the market currently that supports NPTv6.

IMHO, the push to force end-to-end connectivity (no-nat) that pervades the IPv6 community has slowed the growth of IPv6
considerably. There are a lot of corporate entities (us included) that have no interest in having p2p connectivity. In fact, we do
everything possible to block it and will continue to do so in IPv6. Imagine if there were wide support for some sort of NAT46
solution so that internal networks could stay ipv4 but have ipv6 connectivity while they slowly migrate to ipv6. Perhaps they would
never move internally from ipv4, but externally they could be 100% ipv6. This would be fine with the vast majority of corporate
networks.

FYI, we have a PI IPv6 address space and advertise it via BGP, and are slowly migrating internally to dual-stack systems. However,
we have run into a lot of application issues so far - mostly applications that don’t expect multi-homing and legacy equipment that
will never support ipv6.

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff        | Fax:   914-460-4139