multiple prefixes

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 16:53:27 CET 2013

--- On Tue, 2/12/13, Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> wrote:

> You'll need [non-free] hardware to run the [free] software
> implementation on, even at a small scale.

Many non-ISP organizations view hardware capital costs (i.e. non-recurring) as vastly preferable to monthly recurring charges, especially when the term length for the MRC is "forever", even if the MRC is low.  Whether or not this is a good idea is a separate question, but it's a well-known behavior of many in the enterprise world.

I do think the attitude presented by many of the folks who encourage IPv6 adoption is not conducive to getting the enterprises to adopt v6 - we as a community come across as dismissive of the level of effort required for the enterprises to learn a whole new way of doing things for benefits which are neither obvious not quantifiable in the near-term.  Modifying our tone and presentation, and spending more time listening to the concerns of the enterprise IT folks, would be worth it.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com