multiple prefixes

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Tue Feb 12 13:46:34 CET 2013

On 12-2-2013 13:18, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Doug Barton
>
>> NPTv6 for free,
>
> Free, really?
>
> Which vendor gives away free NPTv6 translators?

Since you likely need(want?) a firewall when implementing NPtv6 you can
probably just turn it on your platform.

In the Open Source firewall pfSense version 2.1 it comes standard with
the other IPv6 support. So that's not very expensive. It's based on
FreeBSD 8.3 and the support came standard with the pf firewall support
which has it's origins in OpenBSD and netBSD.

It works combined with tunnels, native or otherwise. Although it
definitely has drawbacks it does solve the standoff for people that want
to be able to perform Multi-WAN with a 0 increase in cost.

I'm not referring to corporations here. But it does give me IPv6 without
renumbering anything between my 3G stick and my Cable internet. Neither
of which provide native anyhow, so I'm stuck with something tunneled anyhow.

It solves a current existing need that has been largely ignored so far.

Considering the amount of routers today that are sold today that support
the use of 3G sticks via USB i'd say there is a non zero market share.

Best regards,

Seth