multiple prefixes

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 16:42:08 CET 2013

On 11 Feb 2013, at 14:52, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at IMPERIAL.AC.UK> wrote:

> Personally I think caring about client choice of address in "normal" LAN networks is not time well-spent, but it's something reasonable people can disagree on.

Basically it's either 'we'll control all the addresses in use' or 'we'll accept devices can pick any address and we'll adapt our management and monitoring to work with that'.

Given the proliferation of devices on our network, and that the vast majority are user-owned, we've taken the latter approach.  Whether university campuses are "normal" is another question :)

Tim