multiple prefixes

Henri Wahl h.wahl at ifw-dresden.de
Sun Feb 10 19:50:39 CET 2013

>> Maybe dhcpy6d from http://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de may help here. Beside
>> being capable of handling MAC addresses in local network segements it
>> allows to deliver multiple addresses to clients. Still in development so
>> any feedback is appreciated.
>
> As you mentioned off-list to me, your testing found that most DHCPv6 clients don't cope with multiple prefixes. (The exception being Windows 7 and above.)

This is the result of my testing. Seems like client misbehavior, but I
would like to see if it was really a client or a server problem. The
latter is hard to compare as I did not found another multiple addresses
capable server.

> So if I want privacy-based addresses, it appears like it's an all or nothing affair for multiple prefixes in a heterogenous environment.

dhcpy6d allows to deliver randomized addresses to clients, regardless
of their SLAAC privacy extensions settings.  You also can define
different classes with different amounts of addresses, maybe this helps
to model your environment.
Regards

--
Henri Wahl

IT Department
Leibniz-Institut für Festkörper- u.
Werkstoffforschung Dresden

tel: (03 51) 46 59 - 797
email: h.wahl at ifw-dresden.de
http://www.ifw-dresden.de

Nagios status monitor Nagstamon:
http://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de

DHCPv6 server dhcpy6d:
http://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de

IFW Dresden e.V., Helmholtzstraße 20, D-01069 Dresden
VR Dresden Nr. 1369
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Ludwig Schultz, Dr. h.c. Rolf Pfrengle