Dual stack statistics?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Feb 1 09:42:03 CET 2013

On 01/28/2013 07:39 AM, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 03:17:26PM +0000, Tim Chown wrote:
>> Firefox has a HE implementation too.
>
> Since "ShowIP" has lost any trust[1], I suggest trying the "4or6"
> plugin, which nicely lets you disable IPv4 or IPv6 as well as
> disabling Firefox' "fast fallback to IPv4" (which I do to see the
> problems, not getting painted over). Very handy.

I tried 4or6 and SixorNot side by side for a while, and like the latter
better, but 4or6 doesn't suck. :)

Recently I moved my personal Internet presence (mail, DNS, web, etc.) to
a VPS with full native v6. I'm finding quite a bit more coming on v6
than I expected:

	IN		%	OUT		%
Total	1736908		100.0	1855968		100.0
IPv4	 914570		 52.7	 879236		 47.4
IPv6	 816369		 47.0	 970952		 52.3

The percentages don't add up quite to 100% because of a small amount of
traffic going across the loopback and LLA. This is almost exactly 1
month's worth of traffic, primarily web and mail. The v6 stats are
distorted slightly because I do all my work on the system (ssh,
uploading packages, personal mail, etc.) over v6. I also haven't done an
in-depth analysis of the traffic, but from what I have researched at
least a majority, and probably a solid majority of my mail traffic; both
in and out, is going over v6.

DNS requests come in about 2:1 A to AAAA, outgoing queries are about equal.

If anyone has specific suggestions on ways to track and/or analyze the
data I'm willing to take a look.

Doug