RA & DHCP problem...

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Sun Dec 29 22:00:23 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> rather than depending on vendor hacks which might or might not be
> supported, depending on phase of moon / the specific FHRP used / etc.

Why is this a hack? Per RFC 5798:

   IPv6_Addresses              One or more IPv6 addresses associated
                               with this virtual router.  Configured
                               item with no default.  The first address
                               must be the Link-Local address associated
                               with the virtual router.

While the RFC doesn't say explicitly that this address needs to be the one
sending the RA, I don't see how you could implement it differently.

However, if there are indeed implementations that don't allow sending RAs
from the link-local address of the virtual router, then writing a document
saying that VRRP must allow the implementation to be configured to do so is
likely to be a lot less controversial than attempting to standardize
routing in DHCPv6.