RA & DHCP problem...

Hannes Frederic Sowa hannes at stressinduktion.org
Sun Dec 29 17:05:10 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 01:52:15PM +0200, Tarko Tikan wrote:
> hey,
>
> >4. there is no way for RAs to deploy different gateways to different hosts:
> >all hosts on the network must be configured in the same way.
>
> +1 for this. We are currently using multiple default gw's (backed by
> multiple VRRP groups). This is something we can't port to ipv6 and it'll
> hurt as all capacity is not available for sudden peaks.

Hmm, just a thought, but I think it won't help that much.

If you use source-based/policy routing (linux ipv6 fib subtree feature)
you could segment the subnet further and let the default gateway emit
redirects if the subtree has a default gateway which is on-link for
the clients.

In case they don't react I guess this will pollute your network with further
traffic (or you just drop the traffic by other mechanism).