RA & DHCP problem...

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Sun Dec 29 16:04:19 CET 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM, "Roger Jørgensen" <roger at jorgensen.no>wrote:

> We all think it's time to address this reoccurring issue and discussion on
> RAs and DHCP. RA isn't perfect, neither is DHCP but sometime there is a
> need to use DHCP instead of RAs. In short - DHCP need to be able to supply
> default gateway independing of RAs or no RAs. That is a client should be
> able to get only in a IPv6 only network _if_ there is no RAs, only DHCP
> there.

I think your statement is not correct. We *don't* all agree that "DHCP need
to be able to supply default gateway".

In fact, there was a major controversy around this relatively recently in
the MIF working group. The DHCPv6 route option draft, after WG last call,
encountered opposition so significant that it was dropped from the WG
charter. Those arguments were not a good use of the WG's time, and it's not
something we should repeat unless we believe the situation has changed and
things will be different this time around.

Since this happened relatively recently, I do not expect that things have
changed since then.