RA & DHCP problem...

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sun Dec 29 12:18:33 CET 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 06:48:14PM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> "Because I want to" isn't a good technical answer.

"Because it might end this ever-ongoing source of noise" might seem like a
good reason.

OTOH it will teach people that if you keep on making your noise, you
can force your ideas on everyone.

On the topic, I still find the "I do not want RA but I want to use DHCP"
scenario highly non-convincing, especially the argument that "I need to use
DHCP for fast gateway failover" - which is total crap, as HSRP/VRRP
work perfectly fine with RAs sourced from the virtual IP - but then,
if Nick's mental well-being depends on not having RA but still having
DHCP, I wish him lots of luck to get implementers to do what he wants...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279