RA & DHCP problem...

Philipp Kern phil at philkern.de
Sat Dec 28 16:07:50 CET 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 02:28:37PM +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 28/12/2013 14:12, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> > Why? What problem are you solving by changing the current behavior?
> RAs don't work for some situations, specifically for those people who have
> requirement for tightly timed failover, and for people who are planning or
> running very large ipv6 deployments.  For these cases, it is more sensible
> to have a statically defined gateway address and to use a mechanism like
> DHCP to assign the gateway.

how do these deployments look like? Because the granuality is generally
per broadcast link and I don't think we are talking about multiple
routers on one broadcast domain with the DHCP server doing the load
balancing?

You still need ND for tightly timed failover or you switch the MAC
address somewhere else, why is RA a bad thing here? (As you can
advertise the VRRP IP or VIP in it, for instance).

Or are you actually about the need for routers to send out the packets
on a large number of interfaces? It'd be nice to see something stronger
than "wouldn't work".

Kind regards
Philipp Kern