RA & DHCP problem...

Tarko Tikan tarko at lanparty.ee
Sat Dec 28 15:44:35 CET 2013

hey,

> Why? What problem are you solving by changing the current behavior?

We propose to decouple DHCP from RA, view them as two different
autoconfiguration protocols. Today you can't deploy DHCP without RA and
this forces you to support/secure two protocols that mostly overlap.

> Personally I think it's a huge mistake for an implementor to have the
> kernel process RAs, all this control plane should be done in userspace,
> not in the kernel.

Kernel, userspace, doesn't matter but we propose not to make it
complicated and prefer one over another. Let RA and DHCP work
independently and configure interfaces/routing tables. Let kernel sort
out which address/route to use based on weights or even ECMP over both
RA and DHCP defaultroutes if one chooses to do so.

--
tarko