RA & DHCP problem...

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Dec 28 15:12:17 CET 2013

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013, "Roger Jørgensen" wrote:

> supply default gateway independing of RAs or no RAs. That is a client
> should be able to get only in a IPv6 only network _if_ there is no RAs,
> only DHCP there.

Why? What problem are you solving by changing the current behavior?

> DHCP must support defaultroute and must be decoupled from RAs, no M-bit
> or whatever.

M-bit is a hint, nothing in the standard says a host isn't allowed to use
DHCP on a network.

> (tons of options on how DHCP and RAs can live together, all with their
> own pitfalls. From the simple one that dhcpclient can disable the kernel
> from accepting RAs with it's own pitfalls, to let the kernel sorting
> them out, and over to preferring either one - RAs or DHCPs defaultroute)

Personally I think it's a huge mistake for an implementor to have the
kernel process RAs, all this control plane should be done in userspace,
not in the kernel.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se