IPv6 broken on Fedora 20?

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Thu Dec 19 18:59:56 CET 2013

* Hannes Frederic Sowa

> The kernel should install the IPv6 address with /64 prefixlen without also
> installing a prefix route for that subnet. Currently the kernel does this
> automatically.

I don't think you can do that from user-space. If you add a /64 (any >
/128 really), you automatically get a on-link route too. At least I
cannot spot how to do it in ip-address(8). So the only way to deal with
the L=0 case when doing RA-processing in user-space is to add the
address as a /128.

Once you're doing that, it's probably easier to handle L=1 by simply
adding the on-link route directly, rather than adding the address as a
/64 and relying on the kernel to add the route for you. The two should
result in the same functionality, though, so I'm don't really understand
what's actually broken here.

Tore