Linux IPv6 routing strange behaviour

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 15 12:35:50 CEST 2013

On 15/08/13 11:31, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 07:39:23AM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013, Max Tulyev wrote:
>>
>>> What is the soultion? There are *MILLIONS* of flows in the backbone...
>>
>> The solution is not to use a flow routing platform in the core. This
>> lesson was learnt at the end of the 90ties.
>>
>> So until the linux ipv6 forwarding code is fixed to do stateless
>> forwarding, it's just not suited for your application.
>
> Some time ago I started working on nh-exceptions, but it is a very
> delicate change. I hope I can look at this again as soon as I have some
> more free time. Because the data structures are already in place for
> IPv4 in the generic routing code it should be not such a big patch.

I guess I'm a little bit confused by this thread.

Why are nh-exceptions relevant to *forwarding* (as opposed to the host
side of the stack, which of course needs to cache all kinds of bits
per-destination)

Or is that what you're saying - the host-based bits will live as
"exceptions" on top of a stateless FIB?