Linux IPv6 routing strange behaviour

Max Tulyev maxtul at netassist.ua
Wed Aug 14 12:58:50 CEST 2013

On 14.08.13 13:39, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> I see the strange behaviour of my Linux routers. There are quagga and
>> bird with IPv6 BGP full view.
>
> On the same box? Are they using the same routing table? I am fairly
> confident that will end up in a fight.

No! Some boxes have Quagga, some - Bird, not together of course.

>> Quagga/bird reports about 13500 prefixes,
>> but route table constantly grow up to 100000 routes and more.
>
> Which prefixes, and who/what originates them?

The prefixes from the global IPv6 routing table. It should be one
routing entry per route, but have the lot of totally same route strings.

> Are you maybe causing a routing loop towards yourself?

I checked - no, but why a lot of routing entries, even if loop?

>> Did anyone see something like that? How I can fix it?
>
> Providing outputs/log files would be a good start for people to look at it.

Which logs can explain something?

P.S. It seems if there is more IPv6 traffic - there is faster growth of
routing table.