OSPFv3 auto-configuration in ISP?

Liubing (Leo) leo.liubing at huawei.com
Mon Aug 12 06:00:17 CEST 2013

Hi, Dear all

Recently I noticed an IETF draft about OSPFv3 auto-configuration (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig-02).

This work was inspired by the work in Homenet WG (which is for CPE auto-configuration). But in this draft it seems not intend to limit the scope within home networks. So I guess it might be also applicable for ISP/enterprise networks.

I'm not sure, but I think the following points in the proposed auto-conf mechanism might be limitations of using it in the ISP/enterprise networks:
- It requires all auto-configured OSPFv3 interfaces MUST be in Area 0. (In ISP networks, there might be multiple OSPF areas)
- OSPFv3 interfaces MAY use an arbitrary HelloInterval and RouterDeadInterval. (This violates the original OSPFv3 specification a bit, but I'm not sure whether this is a serious problem in ISP/enterprise networks)

So, did anyone has ever considered to deploy such mechanisms in ISP or enterprise networks? How do you think about the limitations above?

Your comments would be appreciated a lot.

Best regards,
Bing