enterprise IPv6 only client computers and IPv4 connectivity

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 11:32:52 CEST 2013

> > On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se>
> > wrote:
> >         If an enterprise today would decide that they're going to run
> >         IPv6 only on their LAN, they would have recent Win7|Win8|OSX|
> >         Ubuntu clients on their client computers, what mechanism would
> >         they use to access IPv4 Internet?

The sort of environment that could do that probably doesn't need to.

e.g. with proxy based firewalls we could but with proxy isolation
there's no problem with v4 internal space.

We could do it for just new clients but they communicate with the
old stuff (enterprise, there's still NT4 embedded in some plant)

> At $previousjob we used WPAD to distribute proxy information via DNS and
> DHCP to our clients in advance of a planned service outage to give a
> backup service to our 2k clients over some 1Mbps link.
> Deployed it, and requests started (flooding) in. Proxy did its job
> though.
> This was like 8 years ago.  Today support in OS'es and browsers is only
> much better, especially with the DNS method - all browsers by default
> check for it.

PAC files still in use, original server too

 10:32am  up 5048 day(s), 21:03,  1 user,  load average: 3.39, 3.39, 3.35

brandon