ipv6 network fail (newbie alert)

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 9 16:31:41 CEST 2013

On 28 Mar 2013, at 00:58, Erik Kline <ek at google.com> wrote:

> P.S. RFC 6866 touches on this issue. draft-chown-6man-tokenised-ipv6-identifiers
> touched on it too, but was not adopted so far.
>
> I don't recall seeing that draft go by.  Over all it makes sense to me, though I think using the word "token" kind of confuses the issue as compared to just talking about IIDs.  (What's wrong with just something like "ifconfig eth0 inet6 iid add ::dead:beef" or whatever?)
>
> Also: maybe something for v6ops, rather then 6man?

I used 'token' as that was the term used in the original implementation in Solaris.  Someone at our uni then did an implementation for Linux.  That was maybe 10 years ago now though.  It was the recent 6renum work that made me think it was worth documenting. There are various ways you could implement it.  I'll nudge it on the 6man list, and see where it goes.

Tim